Getting rid of water tank?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
martinj1207
Labourer
Labourer

Getting rid of water tank?

by martinj1207 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:53 pm

Is it possible to get rid of the water tank in the loft which is still in use even though I already have a combi boiler installed. It was like this when I bought the house. The tank only supplies cold water to the basin tap and toilet cistern. All other taps are mains fed and the hot water taps/shower and radiators and run off the combi. If so, is it just a matter of putting a loop on the two copper pipes going to and from the water tank and is it best to make this join as low as possible because the pipes going to the loft are directly in the way of where I want to drill through the wall for my basin waste to put in my new basin? Thankyou. Martin

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:13 pm

Unless there is a special reason, which is unlikely, the tank should have been removed when the boiler was installed. Leaving the tank means there is a higher health risk than is necessary.

In fact, it is so unusual, it makes me wonder why it was left. The only thing that has to be attended to which is perhaps why the tank was left, is the toilet cistern valve will need converting to a high pressure type. Generally, this means it needs replacing.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 9:25 pm