Taping Corners When Tanking for Downstairs Shower Room Renovation
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

dylant
Apprentice
Apprentice

Taping Corners When Tanking for Downstairs Shower Room Renovation

by dylant » Thu May 30, 2019 9:12 am

Hi all -

I'm about to give my downstairs showerroom a makeover and have a question about tanking. There seems to be all sorts of info and systems out there, but essentially what is there now are plastered walls and a cement floor that has been painted with that waterproofing paint then tiled over. There's a shower unit but no tray, but the floor slopes to a drain. It's been working fine, but is just dated.

I want to remove the tiles and change the shower unit; it'll be completely sectioning off that end of the bathroom as it'll be a sliding door glass panel. But from what I've read because there's no shower tray its technically not a 'showerroom' but a 'wetroom' and therefore i need to tape all the corners of the walls.

I really just want to know what the purpose of taping up the corners is, when there is no actual joint there. I get it when I've put some sort of board up that has joints, but if the whole wall is skimmed and i'll be protecting it with the tanking paint anyway, I don't quite get it.

Can anyone else help with this?

Thanks!

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:25 pm