Advice on cylinder & digital shower mixer?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
padelic
Labourer
Labourer

Advice on cylinder & digital shower mixer?

by padelic » Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:27 pm

Hello, I’m after a little advice. I’m in the process of renovating a house in which it will eventually have a water tank fitted in the loft (no gas in property!) I’m thinking of buying this gledhill 120l direct unvented cylinder, please see link: https://www.snhtradecentre.co.uk/product/gledhill-es-120l-direct-unvented-cylinder-stainless-steel/

I’ve been offered a Mira Platinum dual outlet digital mixer very cheap, it’s the gravity fed model. See link: https://www.mirashowers.co.uk/showers/digital-showers/mira-platinum-dual-ceiling-fed-pumped-for-gravity/

Would this digital mixer be compatible with that cylinder or would I need the combi/high pressure model mixer?

It’s my understanding that a tank works by gravity so it should be the right model but the thing that is throwing me off is that cylinder says it delivers mains pressure hot water in the description?

Thanks in advance and apologies if this is a stupid question.

Drip-Doctor
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Advice on cylinder & digital shower mixer?

by Drip-Doctor » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:21 pm

Hi!

The 'tank' you're talking about is an unvented cylinder, this takes in mains pressure water and heats it up and delivers it as hot mains pressure water.

A gravity fed tap is designed for lower pressures of water dropping one or 2 floors into the valve.

If you used this mixer then it would probably wreck the valves, I believe that model also has a pump to increase the pressure. Long story short you would either need to get hold of the high pressure variant of the shower, HP, or install a gravity system instead which would be a bit of a backward move really. Shame you cant use the gravity valve but with a high pressure cold and hot water system any thermostatic mixer valve will give you much the same benefits.

Hope this was useful!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:18 pm