DIY block built extesion
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
vonspritz
Apprentice
Apprentice

DIY block built extesion

by vonspritz » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:21 pm

Hi all
I'm self building a two storey extension using blocks. My question is this: how vertical is vertical? the blocks vary in size, making it difficult to be exact. I can get a true vertical by working against a batten when coming off the existing wall, but the free standing end is more tricky. Is there any leeway, and if so how much? No good saying leave it to the experts, cos then it won't get done.
Cheers
Vonspritz

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: DIY block built extesion

by welsh brickie » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:09 pm

[quote="vonspritz"]Hi all
I'm self building a two storey extension using blocks. My question is this: how vertical is vertical? the blocks vary in size, making it difficult to be exact. I can get a true vertical by working against a batten when coming off the existing wall, but the free standing end is more tricky. Is there any leeway, and if so how much? No good saying leave it to the experts, cos then it won't get done.
Cheers
Vonspritz[/quote]
all blocks&bricks vary in width sizeby a few mm,only use your level on one side you will never get it plumb (vertically straight), if you try to level both sides.

vonspritz
Apprentice
Apprentice

by vonspritz » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:56 am

Thanks for your answer, but the main point of my question is, when I get to roof level, about 5 metres, say, is there a maximum amount that the wall can be out of true and be still viable, or within acceptable limits?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

blockwork

by welsh brickie » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:53 pm

unfortunatly I cant answer that question,that will be upto the building inspector,if its out by quite a few inches he can make you do it again

trand
Apprentice
Apprentice

by trand » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:09 pm

The external should be quite easy to keep level unless you are laying the blocks/bricks form the inside, just keep the level on the outside of the blocks the internal is in the cavity, so dos'nt matter,

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 5:20 pm