How to REFILL (or not) Pre-existing Solid Fuel Fireplace
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

onten10
Labourer
Labourer

How to REFILL (or not) Pre-existing Solid Fuel Fireplace

by onten10 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:26 pm

Hi there

Our fireplace works well, used a lot over winter. Decided to clean the iron fireplace today, removed everything as usual, but decided (oops!) to remove the screw that held in a vertical backplate or some stone type material.

When I did lots of rubble/ backfill came out from what I read its rubble+vermiculte stuff, I guess about half a bucket worth. I put back the backplate but can't work out how to refill the backfill rubble as it just falls out before I get the chance to put the plate back.

There is no where to fill it, as at the top the flue is all sealed, so no soot can drop behind there. This is an internal to the property fireplace if that matters, so not on an external facing wall.

Suggestions? Just leave it and use it or reopen up, and try to stick a few larger boulders in there before more rubble keeps falling down, or knock a hole in top to backfill from there?

suggestions most welcome, I can't be the first person to do this, could not see any posts on this exact stupidity of mine, lol

It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:52 am