Building Regs on an Old Bungalow Conversion
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

Martin1946
Labourer
Labourer

Building Regs on an Old Bungalow Conversion

by Martin1946 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:26 am

Hi,

Iam a new member so apologies if this is repetetive.

We have had our BUNGALOW roof renewed; ie. New membrane, new battens and tiles. Because we have had more than 25% of the roof replaced we have submitted a Building Notification application (£98.50 here in Wales). The work has been carried out according to/ exceeding 2006 Regs. (Every tile is clipped or nailed (It's windy in Anglesey); dry ridge with ventilation; eaves protection system & ventilation; dry verge fixings; new barge boards, facias and soffits overclad with UPVC. Don't think the roofers had ever odne a job to this spec. before but were very co-operative.
The bungalow was built in the 60s with an extension in '69; and the loft is partially boarded (original joists 3"" with additional 3" cross timbers. it also had two Velux windows, and is carpeted and fitted with plasterboard under the rafters. We only use the loft for storage.

We have replaced the original loft insulation and upgraded where accessible to 200/300mm butcannot do anything about the boarded area (50%) without ripping up the flooring.

My questions are:

1. As the loft flooring was carried out 50+ years ago am I correct in presuming current Regs cannot be applied?

2. The Velux windows had to be replaced as they were rotten; is this notifiable.?

3. My understanding is that the insulation only needs to be upgraded where practical; so we don't have to rip up the floor.

4. We have access via a Slingsby ladder which we leave down most of the time for convenience; is this allowed?

Thanks to anyone who managed to get this far; We have passed first inspection (before tiles etc. and insulation fitted) and now need to arrange for final ispection and sign-off.
Any advice from members with experience and/or knowledge of these issues is most welcome.

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:45 pm