What's the best way to improve the energy efficiency and comfort of my home.
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lifeUsedToBeSimpler
Apprentice
Apprentice

What's the best way to improve the energy efficiency and comfort of my home.

by lifeUsedToBeSimpler » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:53 pm

Hi,
I need to reduce drafts and improve the thermal/heat efficiency of our home,
because we are losing heat due to its poor design.

Starting with the rear wall of the house.

The front & back of our house is not the regular 10" cavity (4+2+4) wall, so in simple terms:

The front and back bedroom windows run nearly the full width of the room,
eg: the rooms are 12' wide, and the windows are 11' feet wide.
The wall under the windows are single (probably 6") brick.

The back-bedroom wall has (approx 2") battens on its outside,
which are covered with UPVC cladding, so there's no insulation.

The living room is below that back-bedroom, which has a
floor to ceiling patio door, and it's the same width (eg: 11') as the bedroom window above it.

So at the back of the house, my idea is to completely remove everything,
eg: bedroom window and the brick wall below it, and the patio door, in the Livingroom.
And replace it with a more conventional cavity wall with smaller window and patio

This cavity wall could be traditional bricks, with insulation, or,
the inside could be a SIP, and brick on the outside.

The other issue is that the wall under the bedroom window,
sits on a heavy and large (approx 6"x6" or 8"x8" (probably reinforced) concrete lintel,
that spans the width of the room, which I assume was cast in situe.
This would have to be removed to make way for the new wall, as it would be in the way.
I think this would be difficult to remove in one piece,
so I would welcome some practical ideas on the best way to remove this.

It would be helpful if I could get structual plans of these types of walls,
that were acceptable to Building Regulations,
that I could use as a guide, which I could then modify for my own use.

So I would welcome any advice that anyone can give.
Many thanks.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: What's the best way to improve the energy efficiency and comfort of my home.

by collectors » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:06 pm

Heavy curtains will help if you have large windows. But it sounds like you best alternative is cladding the outside of the house with a good insulation. They have done this with a lot of council houses.

lifeUsedToBeSimpler
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: What's the best way to improve the energy efficiency and comfort of my home.

by lifeUsedToBeSimpler » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:18 pm

collectors wrote:Heavy curtains will help if you have large windows. But it sounds like you best alternative is cladding the outside of the house with a good insulation. They have done this with a lot of council houses.

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately due to this properties poor desingn, there would still be a lot of heat loss. Thats why I propose such a radical change.

fopove5389
Labourer
Labourer

by fopove5389 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:53 am

Improving the energy efficiency and comfort of your house can be accomplished through a variety of ways. Here are some of the most effective methods for doing that:
Insulate your home - Proper insulation helps to reduce heat transmission, keeping your home warm in the winter and cool in the summer. To minimise energy loss, make sure that your attic, walls, floors, and windows are all well insulated.

Seal air leaks: Air leaks around windows, doors, and other surfaces can result in severe energy loss. To seal these spaces and reduce draughts, use weatherstripping, caulking, or sealants.

Upgrade to energy-efficient appliances: Replace old, inefficient appliances with new, energy-efficient models. Look for appliances that have the ENERGY STAR designation, which indicates that they satisfy high energy efficiency standards.

Install programmable thermostats: Programmable thermostats allow you to set temperature regimens based on your daily activities. You may adjust the temperature while you're away or asleep to save energy without sacrificing comfort.

Use natural lighting: Make the most of natural light during the day to limit the need for artificial lighting. Keep curtains or blinds open and consider installing skylights or wider windows in rooms that lack natural light.

Change to LED lighting: Use energy-saving LED lights in place of conventional incandescent bulbs. LED lights use a lot less energy and last a lot longer.

Install energy-efficient windows: If your windows are dated or inadequately insulated, think about replacing them. Look for low-emissivity (low-E) glass and insulated frames to reduce heat transfer.

Conserve water:  Install low-flow showerheads and faucets to reduce water consumption. To avoid water waste, fix any leaks as soon as possible.

Use intelligent power strips: Many devices continue to draw power even while they are off. By automatically turning off electricity to devices that are in standby mode, smart power strips can save energy.

Keep in mind that energy efficiency and comfort enhancements are frequently linked. Making your home more energy-efficient not only reduces your environmental effect but also improves comfort and may save you money on energy costs in the long term.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:47 am