2 outdoor pir's on one switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
suedeblue
Apprentice
Apprentice

2 outdoor pir's on one switch

by suedeblue » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:37 pm

I'd be grateful if someone could tell me what i have done wrong.
I have changed a pir light which has two sets of 3 core plus earth going into it. These cables serve two pir lights on the front of my house.
The old pir had the black wires going into a connector block.
The new pir has LS,N,E,L. I've connected the black to the LS, Grey (sleeved blue) to N, Green sleeved to E and brown to L.
The problem i have now is that the pir's will not go out unless i turn off the switch.
Have I got the LS and L the wrong way round.
The pir's are served from one switch.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:17 pm

suedeblue,
Assuming you have not left the new PIR in test mode and you have waited quite a while for the pirs to reset you need to identify the Black and Brown wires to confirm which is switched live. If these are the connected correctly and you have a live feed onto L your light switch should be in the off position - it is an override switch to bypass the pirs.
end

suedeblue
Apprentice
Apprentice

by suedeblue » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 am

Thanks Stoneyboy.

The problem i now have is that the second pir light will not go off even if the switch is turned off. Somehow I have bypassed the LS. It only goes off if i disconnect at the consumer unit.

The other pir works fine. Both worked great until i replaced one of the pir's.

suedeblue
Apprentice
Apprentice

by suedeblue » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:22 pm

Just put one of the black wires to the brown terminal and one of the brown into the black terminal and both of the pir lights are working off the switch.
That leaves of the 3 core plus earth cable two earth into one block, two blue into one block, one black into a brown and one brown into a black.
I guess the proof of the pudding will be tonight if they both work correctly.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:43 am