2 way switch not working correctly after plastering work
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
TryMyselfFirst
Labourer
Labourer

2 way switch not working correctly after plastering work

by TryMyselfFirst » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:40 pm

Hi,

I have a 2 way switch, 1 is downstairs which is a 2 gang that switches the upstairs and downstairs light and a single upstairs switch.

We recently had some plastering completed and the switches were recently put back on but the switch is only working in certain positions with the upstairs light. For example, it will switch on and off from the bottom switch and upstairs too, but only if the downstairs switch is in a certain position. I have had a look at the wiring but cannot workout what is happening. I have tried switching around the L1 and L2 upstairs and downstairs but it did not help.

I have provided some pictures, with the hope that someone will be able to assist and tell me put X cable into L2, put Y cable into L1 and Z cable in common.

Please see the pictures below.

Many thanks in advance!
Attachments
Upstairs 1 gang
Upstairs 1 gang
Downstairs 2 gang
Downstairs 2 gang

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: 2 way switch not working correctly after plastering work

by Mr White » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:07 pm

There is no definitive colour code used in UK lighting, sockets, yes lighting no. Since you have nothing to test with, you will have to continue with trial and error, or call an electrician.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:52 pm

The com wire is the important one, if L1 and L2 are swapped, it only changes if switch is up or down for on, so only three combinations to try.

But seems to be short on wires, normally one switch at one end has three wires which connect to the other switch, the other switch has 5 wires, two from the lights which go to L1 and L2 and three from other switch, as said as long as com is correct should work.

Since you have a double switch then looking for 7 wires, can't see too well in picture, but does not look like 7 wires there.

There are wireless options today, the kinetic switch uses the energy of you moving the switch to send a signal to other switch, better than running new cables, but expensive.

There are also relays which can fit in the light, so you can use your mobile phone or remote controls. We turn out landing light on and off with voice commands and google Nest Mini speakers. The switches were in the wrong place down stairs, and using voice was easier than moving the switch with all the rewiring involved.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:41 pm

................so, as I said "TryMyselfFirst" continue with trial and error. But do learn from your mistakes, next time mark the cables and take a few pictures.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:08 pm