3 gang 2 way switch help please!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
malibu_137
Labourer
Labourer

by malibu_137 » Sat May 09, 2009 6:13 pm

Hi

I have a 3 gang 2 way switch with common L1 & L2 for each switch.

Can anybody tell me how to wire for 3 lights, 1st light is downstairs hall light existing wiring is 2 red wires, earth & 1 yellow, this light only needs to work 1 way. 2nd light is stair light which is to work 2 way existing wiring is 2 red & earth. 3rd light is outside light with 2 red and earth this is to work 1 way. I assume I need to loop the terminals but which ones.
:?: :?: :?:
Grateful of any assistance.

Thanks!!

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun May 10, 2009 9:12 am

malibu_137
It depends what kind of lighting system you have installed if it's loop in or via junction box this could effect the way the live is supplied to the switch plate but i'd assume the light containing the yellow core conductor would be two way set up.
Normally in three core set up, yellow would be common connection and your reds would go to L1 and L2.
In you one way set up one red to common and one red to L1.
All earths connected to earth terminal on switch plate if metal plate or back box if not.
Try this and see what happens.
Then get back to us.
KB

malibu_137
Labourer
Labourer

by malibu_137 » Sun May 10, 2009 4:02 pm

Thanks KB

That is exactly what I did but only the hall light is working, (which I only which is only to work 1 way although the wiring for this has the additional yellow wire). The 2 way stair light & the one way outside light don't work at all.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun May 10, 2009 9:43 pm

May I ask if this is a replacement switch or a new installation.
I ask this because did it originally work and for what reason has it stopped working?
Have you had new lights fitted could it be possible that cables could have been loosened or not terminated correctly at ceiling rose or any work done that could have disconnected cables?
I don't want to make assumptions and be barking up wrong tree, it may be as simple as cross linking the lives in the switch plate but why has it stopped working thats if it ever did, if no links there previous.
KB

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Mon May 11, 2009 12:29 am

A 2 way light cannot possibly work with only 2 wires coming into the switch.
Ignore the earths for the momentas they go to a common dummy terminal.
from what you have indicated, i would suggest with circuit live, test all reds to find a live feed, put that in a common terminal.
Link from there to both other common terminals, so that each switch is receiving a live feed, then place each pair of reds into L1/L2 doesnt matter which way round and see what happens. The yellow counts as a red for that pair.
One odd thing is that if you have a yellow cable, you should also have a blue, as this is part of a 3core +E(old colours), but it may be cut out/not used, not uncommon.
HTH

malibu_137
Labourer
Labourer

by malibu_137 » Mon May 11, 2009 8:26 pm

Cheers guys

I am replacing another switch however the one I'm replacing did not have the outside lights connected (2 gang 2 way) . They were isolated in insulation tape. I did mark all of them as I disconnected them but for some reason I didn't mark the looped one. I assume then that one should go from common to common.

It's a bit dark now so I'll try to check it tomorrow if I get home early enough!

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Wed May 13, 2009 12:22 am

Did the o/s light work, and is there a PIR on them?

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:00 am