AC Install Challenges and not Sure What to do?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

imi-london
Labourer
Labourer

AC Install Challenges and not Sure What to do?

by imi-london » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:57 pm

Hi All

In a bit of a predicament and need some advice and guidance.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum section for such a post - feel free to direct me to the correct one if required.

Sequence of events.
    Reached out to a company to get an additional unit installed to our residential AC system.
    Company quoted based on length of pipe - they asked whether it was a 10m run or more - I said more, possibly 20m.
    Paid for the job using my CC
    Company turns up and installs the unit
    Unit isn't working right
    repeated failed visits
    manufacturer concludes that its due to the pipe run being longer than the max specified length
    due to position of condenser and unit - not possible to get to manufactures max length however can reduce by a few meters
    company wants to reduce pipe length by changing the routing to a more efficient shorter path (still unlikely to get to the manufactures length)
    company asking me to pay for reducing the length of pipe as they are now out of pocket.
    I am left with a unit that is not fit for purpose and potentially now invalidating my warranty for the entire system - not to mention the holes and damage to my property.
    the only way to possibly get to manufacturers spec is to put the wall unit on a wall where it will obstruct the wardrobe door and loft hatch - (so not a feasible solution) - plus there will be additional holes in the walls and ceiling that they will not put right like before.

My stance is that they should have measured the pipe run before drilling holes in the wall and installing the unit

If they then deduced that they couldn't install it within spec (in order to not invalidate manufactures warranty) then they should have called the job off rather than going ahead with the install.

Where do I stand here and what do you recommend i do next?

Preferable Solution
    Get the unit to work properly by reducing the pipework to within spec as best as they can without obstructing the wardrobe door and hatch
    ELSE
    Remove the system, Full refund and put everything back to how it was.