Adjusting top-hung aluminium window
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
CDInkpen
Apprentice
Apprentice

Adjusting top-hung aluminium window

by CDInkpen » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:13 pm

I've got a couple of top-hung aluminium windows that are becoming difficult to close because the bits that protrude at the bottom (cams or rollers?) are catching on the outside lip of the window frame. The keeps are branded 'Sapa'.

The cams take an allen key and I can turn them. I was hoping I might be able to adjust them by screwing them in to the window so they don't protrude so much, but that doesn't seem to work, and one of them is very loose so may need replacing or refitting somehow.

There doesn't seem to be scope to move the side hinges up in the frame because it looks like they're at the top of their adjustment.

I've failed to find a Youtube video that helps, or any documentation. Can anyone can point me in the right direction to solve this?

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Bottom view, a bit out of focus.
Bottom view, a bit out of focus.
What's the bit circled in red called? Cam? Roller?
What's the bit circled in red called? Cam? Roller?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Adjusting top-hung aluminium window

by stoneyboy » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:52 pm

Hi cdinkpen,
You will either have to adjust the side hinges or replace them. You may be lucky and find the holes in the screws into the opening window are elongated.
Regards S

CDInkpen
Apprentice
Apprentice

by CDInkpen » Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:16 pm

Thanks for your help. I can see that there are elongated holes going through the hinge into the frame and these look like they're at their limit in terms of pushing the hinges towards the top. Unfortunately the windows are on the 3rd floor so difficult to access outside but from what you're saying there may be some adjustment into the hinge attached to the opener too. I'll check this as replacing the hinges will be difficult.

Thanks again.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:49 pm

Hi cdinkpen,
It is possible to replace the hinges from inside but you need some strong glass suckers and helpers to hold and manoeuvre the window inside once the hinges are unscrewed from the frame.
Regards S

CDInkpen
Apprentice
Apprentice

by CDInkpen » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:59 am

Hi stoneyboy, I hadn't thought of that approach so thanks for the tip. I will try to adjust the hinges in-place first and leave removing them as a last resort.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:01 am