Any Idea What This Cable is and why it Goes Next Door ?
information and advice on general building topics, builders merchants, problem builders, DIY Stores etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
steve23
Apprentice
Apprentice

Any Idea What This Cable is and why it Goes Next Door ?

by steve23 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:30 pm

Hi all,

Ok, only been in my new house 3 years so let me off not seeing this before but....

I live in a semi detached.

I noticed what looks like an electrical cable comes out of my house (at the rear of where all the 'electrics' are under the stairs), goes up my wall, around the roof guttering, onto next doors roof guttering then around the corner and down next doors wall to where i do not know (cant see over the gate).

Ok, im going to ask them about it, but just wondered if anyone here had any ideas what it could be and why ?

Photo attached showing it coming out of my wall.

Thanks

Steve
Attachments
wire3.jpg

SamCo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Any Idea What This Cable is and why it Goes Next Door ?

by SamCo » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:24 pm

Jeeeeez, looks crazy. Do you know where the main feed for electrics enters your property? This could be a main route in that is also shared with your neighbour?

What is your electricity bill like?

steve23
Apprentice
Apprentice

by steve23 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:34 am

Hi,

I dont really know where the mains feed comes in for the house but Im guessing its under the stairs as that is where the meter and everything is, which is the area this cable 'comes out' from. Or goes in, how do I know which way things are flowing !

It would be hard for us to spot unusual electric use, as we use a lot and have a high bill - I have humidifiers and air conditioning running for various reasons plus about twenty electrical gadgets in every room !

Obviously its going to have a straight forwards explanation, but there is always part of the brain that suspects something nefarious ! That said, although i never noticed it, the cable going next door is not exactly hidden, so I dont think it has been done for any 'dubious' reason.

What I dont know is do i raise it with next door or call an electrician first.

Steve

SamCo
Apprentice
Apprentice

by SamCo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:21 am

Personally I would call an electrician forst Pal. Act dumb with the neighbour and then there's no fall out with them accusing you of suspecting them stealing volts from you.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 7:01 am