Applying Sealant Around Curved Shower Base
Fillers, sealants and adhesives for all types of DIY work. Help, advice and information on all aspects of this subject

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JonJonJon88
Labourer
Labourer

Applying Sealant Around Curved Shower Base

by JonJonJon88 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:07 pm

Hi,

I've watched countless videos showing how best to use silicone to seal around a perfectly square shower base (exterior), but mine is curved and so applying masking tape either side to keep the sealant in the right area when applying doesn't work. Aside from a steady hand, how do I best apply sealant to the base of the shower when it's on a curve, and keep it looking smart and tidy?

Thank you in advance..

KitchenGuy
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Applying Sealant Around Curved Shower Base

by KitchenGuy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:05 am

Hi, I do a lot of sealing and being honest would not use the masking tape method. It's never that neat as the sealant frays as you pull off the tape. This method also leaves a ridge on the joint which collects water and mould.. The other thing to bear in mind is that as a rule a curved surface with a tight joint is easier to seal than a rectangular base.

My advice would be to just cut the nozzle as small as you can, put a very small bead around and smooth it with a wet finger. Alternatively, if you buy one of these kits they are a really good second best method. https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adhesi ... Set/p46602 You could try the first method, (more important to keep a constant speed than a steady hand) and have this kit ready in case you mess up. The only downside to using rubber smoothers is that it leaves a very thin film of sealant either side of the joint.

Good luck.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:22 pm