Architrave and Skirting
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

Architrave and Skirting

by acsimpson » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:03 am

Hi,
I am putting new bullnose architrave and skirting into my living room and wonder what the best way to do the joint between them is? I am varnishing them so there is no option to fill and sand a gap.

Will it look best just to but the skirting up to the pencil edge on the architrave or should I try either trimming the architrave or profilling the skirting to match the edge?

Thanks
acs

chips
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Architrave and Skirting

by chips » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:01 pm

[quote="acsimpson"]Hi,
I am putting new bullnose architrave and skirting into my living room and wonder what the best way to do the joint between them is? I am varnishing them so there is no option to fill and sand a gap.

Will it look best just to but the skirting up to the pencil edge on the architrave or should I try either trimming the architrave or profilling the skirting to match the edge?

Thanks
acs[/quote]

You could set the architrave on plinths of the same timber. Perhaps the supplier will sell them.

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:28 am

Thanks chips. Unfortunaltey in my haste to get the job done The architraves are already attached to the wall using glue. I could cut the bottom off them and create a plinth using an offcut of skirting but would it look OK having a plinth at the bottom and a mitre joint at the top of the doors?

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:52 pm

are you having the pencil edge of the architrave facing outwards away from the door and the square edge inwards then? or is i 'D' profile?

you could rout out the edge of the skirting using a cove cutter of the same radius as the pencil edge then butt it up. otherwise, as chips has said, a plinth would probably offer the neatest solution.

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:35 pm

It's a double pencil edge on the architrave. I might pull the router out and see if I've got anything which will work. failing that I supose I could chisel a little out of the profile of the architrave and butt it that way.

If it all looks terrible at least I have the fall back option of cutting the bottom of the architrave and fitting a plinth in the future.

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:08 am

[quote="chris_on_tour2002"]you could rout out the edge of the skirting using a cove cutter of the same radius as the pencil edge then butt it up. otherwise, as chips has said, a plinth would probably offer the neatest solution.[/quote]

Thank you all for your advice. I went for a combination of router and dremmel to get the profile I needed and then butted it.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:55 pm

Discover how easy it is to find vetted and insured tradesman local to your area with the help of DIY Doctor. Visit our Find a Tradesman area: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:17 pm