All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mr_Gwent
Labourer
Labourer

Banging or knocking sound in plumbing below flat

by Mr_Gwent » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:51 am

Hello

I live on the top, i.e. second, floor of a small leasehold block of flats. Recently there is a sound which appears to originate from pipework below the water supply pipes in my flat’s airing cupboard.

I have measured the sound at approximately 50 decibels. It manifests as a repeated, i.e. every 60 seconds or so, banging or knocking as if the pipes are moving or coughing. The sound seems to occur primarily during the late evenings into the night, although I have heard it during the day as well. Unfortunately, I have not been able to determine a pattern to the sound, but because I work (very) late into the nights, I do find it to be somewhat vexing.

I do not believe my flat’s plumbing to be responsible because its hot and cold water supply is unimpeded. However, I am aware that this sound could be an air pocket, but find that odd because the noise occurs when the plumbing is idle.

Can you advise what this might be?

Thanks

Mr Gwent.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Banging or knocking sound in plumbing below flat

by stoneyboy » Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:43 pm

Hi mr_gwent,
Most likely to be a section of unsupported mains water pipe which is flexing and hitting something when anyone in your block of flats turn on/off their cold water tap.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:46 pm