BArn Conversion
Information, help and solutions to many issues encountered when converting barns and older buildings

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Heronsdale
Labourer
Labourer

BArn Conversion

by Heronsdale » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:15 am

Hi - I am just starting the process of applying for planning for a barn conversion for a 17th Century Kent barn. It is not listed - am I free to start some of the work - such as restoring the framework, underpinning, upgrading electrical supply, relaying the slab without planning permission - it seems to me that this is work associated with maintaining the barn as oppose to converting it? - just trying to get ahead of the game. Any input would be very welcome

LCL
Ganger
Ganger

by LCL » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:31 pm

My main issue would be to check if it is in a conservation area. Sometime the planners will also place an Article Four directive on an area that prevents any permitted development rights, so its best to speak with your local conservation officer. You say Kent, if Shepway, contact John Gabby, if Dover, contact Clive Alexander, both are very helpful.

The under pinning, electrical work, and possibly the frame repairs, depending on extent will all require building regulation approval. If you have had an under pinning design, your engineer willbe able to advise you on this.

Hope this helps

LCL.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:25 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:57 am