All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
itaylort
Labourer
Labourer

Bath Waste size

Post by itaylort » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:02 pm

HI all,

This is probably a completed stupid question to those in the know.
I am cuurently renewing my bath and have bought a pop up waste to go into it. Having thought about the type of trap to fit i thought the best for ease of maintenance would be a bottle trap, as i have plenty of space within the floor joists.
When i offered up the trap to the threaded section at the bottom of the pop up waste the trap thread was too small.

Although i have never seen a bottle trap waste under a bath.
Are the likes of the shallow bath trap a bigger size?

My other reasoninhg behing the bottle trap was the increased depth of seal. Although at the moment it only goes into a gulley, in the future it could possibly get rerouted into the stack.

I would really appreaciate any feedback on this.

many Thanks

Ian

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:39 am

The bath waste will be 1.5", wash basin waste's are 1.25". Make sure you buy the right size traps and waste grate.

Bottle traps are not normally fitted to bath's, but you can get 1.5" bottle traps that fit kitchen sinks. I think you must have bought a wash basin trap which will be 1.25".

htg

itaylort
Labourer
Labourer

Post by itaylort » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:20 pm

Many thanks, you were correct i pulled a 32 mm trap out of my box of bits instead of the 40mm.

Is there any reason why bottle traps are not uses on baths? It seems better to use one rather than a normal bath trap as it means you dont have to disconnect any pipe work when clearing blockages etc.

Ian

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:14 pm

Probably not much reason - apart from space, I haven't seen many where you could fit a bottle trap in (unless you cut the floorboards to accomodate it, but then easily removal becomes more difficult) the shallow bath traps are designed to fit between the bath and the floor.

At the end of the day whether a bath trap or bottle trap is used - it's going to do the job.

htg

itaylort
Labourer
Labourer

Post by itaylort » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:48 pm

Thanks again, my bath is a free standing thing and the waste would only be accesable via the floor boards anyway and then the trap would be at arms length away down the joist run, so i think i will go for the bottle trap as i have enough room in the joist space.

Many Thanks for your support

Ian

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:40 pm

As Htg says, a trap is a trap. I only use shallow traps because I prefer not to damage the floor as it is crucial to maintain floor structure due to the weight of water in the bath.

AdamsHeating
Ganger
Ganger

Post by AdamsHeating » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:55 pm

Hiya

For baths you should have a trap with a water seal of 50mm minimum. Usually with shallow traps you end up with a 38mm water seal, so it is best to make sure if you are buying a trap that is less than 50mm that you buy one that is an anti syphon version.

AH.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:28 am