Bathroom Wash Basin loose in it's fitting
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Greek
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bathroom Wash Basin loose in it's fitting

Post by Greek » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:04 pm

Hi all,

Hope someone can point me in the right direction. My washbasin sits flush into the bathroom unit, but just recently has started to move ever so slightly if you lean on it. Is this just a case of re-applying the relevant sealing to secure it? Or do I need to do something more technical? Can send a picture if necessary. I'm no expert so let me know if I need to give more info.

Thanks
Yvonne ,

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Bathroom Wash Basin loose in it's fitting

Post by stoneyboy » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:44 pm

Hi greek,
From your description I assume you have a semi fit countertop basin. This type may have retaining brackets underneath but that does not mean that the installer bothered to use them. If there are no brackets the basin may be just stuck in place using silicone mastic.
Regards S

Greek
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Greek » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:07 am

Thank you. Yes, it is a semi fit and I've looked at the sides where it's now loose and I can clearly see the silicone fixing adhesive. Would you recommend simply applying a fresh amount of adhesive into the loose gaps?? Or should I do something a bit more long lasting??

Please bear with me, I have little or no DIY knowledge. My motto has always been 'Get a man in.' Not least because I can't stand to watch people make an absolute car crash of a job just to save face.
Regards
Yvonne

Greek
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Greek » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:15 am

stoneyboy wrote:Hi greek,
From your description I assume you have a semi fit countertop basin. This type may have retaining brackets underneath but that does not mean that the installer bothered to use them. If there are no brackets the basin may be just stuck in place using silicone mastic.
Regards S

Oh Stoneyboy, I've just found the section on bathroom tutorials and it tells me exactly what I have to do to fix my washbasin. I'm going to look at drilling screws into walls next as I want to hang some hanging baskets and a wheel for my hose. I'm really crap at pairing drill sizes with raul plugs. And how deep to go. But I love using my Makita drill so there are loads of botched holes in walls around my garden and in the stone shed Hahahaha!!!!. But I'm determined to learn.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:11 am

Hi Greek,
Not sure what the tutorial suggests but cutout the old mastic with a sharp knife, tip the basin forward slightly and fill under it with sanitary silicone mastic. Tip the basin back and it will squeeze out the mastic and use a tool or your finger nail to neaten it. Shape it immediately or it will set.
For masonry holes use a 5mm drill and plug, generally drill a little more than the length of the plug. If the plug is too tight wiggle the drill in the hole then hammer the plug in. Good luck!
Regards S

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:24 am