Best approach to connecting wooden post to floor
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JamesMitchell
Labourer
Labourer

Best approach to connecting wooden post to floor

by JamesMitchell » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:24 pm

Hi all,

I have been provided the post and beam size required to replace a load bearing wall.

I am wondering what the best approach to install the post would be.

The floor is a concrete floor with a damp proof membrane a couple of inches down and a weak screed on the top of this. I was planning to use brackets, screws and plugs to hold the post in position but am worried that the screed may not be strong enough.

Therefore if i concrete the post in, which would be the best way to do this whilst maintaining the integrity of the damp proof course after the installation is complete?

Is there another option?

Many thanks for any help with this.

Kind regards.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Best approach to connecting wooden post to floor

by stoneyboy » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:12 pm

Hi jamesmitchell
You should cut a hole in the existing floor and form a foundation below floor level for your post. With careful breaking you should be able to expose enough of the existing DPM so you can bond a skirt DPM around your post.
You should have building regs involvement for this job.
Regards S

JamesMitchell
Labourer
Labourer

by JamesMitchell » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:10 am

Hello,

Thank you for your response. I really appreciate the advice.

Do you recommend i dig a hole and create a concrete foundation and then sit the post on top of this using brackets or bury the post in the concrete by 1/3 of its height?

I can bond a skirt dpm which makes sense, however how do i stop any damp rising up the post if it is buried in the concrete?

Thank you!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:46 am

Hi jamesmitchell
Suggest you form a concrete foundation, probably with a base about 50x50cm, this could be smaller if the subsoil is solid. This can be a pyramid (with the top cut off) in shape, the top can be at your existing DPM level. Reform the DPM and use a post base bolt down bracket to form a pocket for your post them make good the floor.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:36 am