Bike rack in concrete blocks
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
AndyEssex
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bike rack in concrete blocks

by AndyEssex » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:29 pm

Hi,

Hopefully this is the right place to post.

I installed a bike rack on the wall in our garage today, it has breeze block style concrete blocks.

There was already a screw in the wall from the previous owners, it was in the right location so I decided to use that as a starting point rather than drill another hole.

The rack went up and held the weight of the bikes but then I heard bits of the concrete block falling off the wall.

I quickly took the rack down to find concrete had fallen away around the initial screw that I used. Not sure what caused this but I can only suspect it was slightly damaged before I began and I didn't notice.

Attached are some pictures to help explain.

What are my options for filling this hole in, is there a concrete-esque polyfiller product on the market?

Can I continue to use this hole for the bike rack , perhaps with a longer screw? I'd like to avoid having to drill another four holes in a new space.

General question, I'm using 50mm screws albeit they are going through a fairly thick bike rack frame, should I be using longer screws?

Many thanks for any help and advice - typically thought it had gone far too well!!

AndyEssex
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Bike rack in concrete blocks

by AndyEssex » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:39 pm

I cannot seem to upload images so here is a link to three images: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... _1WUrPg3AT

The successfully installed bike rack before removing it.

The damaged hole that was already there.

One of the fresh holes I drilled which looks fine.

Thanks

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 5:32 am