Boiler Condensate Drain
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bigbigblue
Apprentice
Apprentice

Boiler Condensate Drain

by bigbigblue » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:22 pm

Hi,
Had a look through old posts but could not find an answer to my question, so here goes :

Is it permissible to discharge the condensate from a domestic condensing gas boiler into a surface water (rainwater) sewer when the surface water sewer is separate from the foul?

The reason I ask is that for all the googling, yahooing, reading of building regs docs etc I cannot find a DEFINITIVE statement which says whether it is OK or not. Some of the documents I have found refer to discharging into the foul sewer via various routes, and via a gully - which in my understanding is usually for rainwater, also in some cases there are references to discharging into a hopper (if the foul and surface sewers are common).

On a number of forums (fora?) I have seen statements which suggest that discharge into surface water sewer is not permitted, but the posters never provide a reference to the regulation which prohibits it.

So, if there is someone out there that can say for definite whether it is allowed or not, and can provide details of the regulation which permits (or prohibits) it, I would be eternally grateful.

Many thanks

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

by DONFRAMAC » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:33 am

The installation instructions with my new Potterton Promax 28 HE+ combi, quotes BS 6798:2000 & Part H1 of the Building Regulations for further guidance.
My own unit discharges to a soakaway 0.5 metres away from the exterior vented downpipe (3/4 UPVC, leading underground to the entry to the soakaway pot filled with limestone chippings, and surrounded by sand and hard-core).

bigbigblue
Apprentice
Apprentice

by bigbigblue » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:10 pm

DONFRAMAC, many thanks for taking the time to reply. Part H1 is not a great deal of help in that it talks about disposal of foul and rainwater and the requirements for drains. It doesn't specifically mention boiler condensate (is it considered foul water?).

I can't find an online copy of BS6798:2000 - but as I understand it, BS document good practice, but compliance is not mandatory, whereas compliance with building regs is mandatory.

Cheers

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

by DONFRAMAC » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:45 am

I could only find it at £92, using a space after BS. Perhaps a technical college library would have it, for consultation/photocopying.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1