All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
coonster
Labourer
Labourer

Boosting hot water supply

by coonster » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:03 pm

Please can someone help me

I have just moved into a flat it has a conventional direct hot water system with the cold tank connected directly to the top of the hot water cylinder, the pressure is very low and only trickles from the taps, it is not possible to raise the tank as it is connected and as I am ground floor I have no loft space anyway.

Is it possible to fit a single impeller pump to the main hot supply pipes and boost the pressure in the kitchen and bathroom taps?

peter the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by peter the plumber » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:59 am

The problem is the cylinder size and the mount of water it contains.

Pumps are ok for showers and should be ok for general use for things like the washing up.

But the long-term solution would be an un-vented hot water system.

It’s all about price, shower pumps start at about £100, un-vented hot water systems start at about £500 plus labour.

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:12 pm

grundfoss do a inline pump for hot water systems cost around £100 / £150
fits similar to central heating pump
bob

coonster
Labourer
Labourer

by coonster » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:28 pm

Thanks for the replies

So would I be correct in saying that if the most hot water I would ever use is to fill a bath (shower is electric) then a single impeller pump would work? If the pump comes with a plug then will I not need an electrician as there is a socket nearby?

Also where can I find the grundfos inline pump I cannot seem to find any info online for it?

Thanks guys

Chelsea Cruiser
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Chelsea Cruiser » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:44 pm

The pump you require is a Grundfos Small Appliance Booster Pump UPA 15-90. This is an automatic pump which starts when an outlet is opened and shuts down when they are closed. It won't give you the kind of pressure that you would expect from a shower pump but would most centainly boost your hot pressure and is designed specifically for the job with adjustable boost. This pump is available from any Plumb Center..

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 1:00 pm