Building a decking base questions (newbie)
Ask questions and find answers on all your decking problems and issues

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
NurseSarah38
Labourer
Labourer

Building a decking base questions (newbie)

by NurseSarah38 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:11 am

Hi I hope someone could help or advise me I am completely new at this so I apologise if my questions are stupid. I am going to try and put decking in the garden myself for my son and I and the area is 9m by 2.5m. My questions are...

1. What intervals should I put the decking posts into the ground? Every 1.5m?

2. Should I use postcrete or concrete and is there any difference?

3. I am putting the decking up to the fence, once I put the posts in on the fence side (leaving space for the joists behind it) how do I attach the joists to it as they will be going on the outside of the fence posts and there will be no way to screw them to the posts as the fence is in the way.

I cant afford to pay for someone to fit it and I'm quite good at DIY so want to give it a go myself, Thank you for any help.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Building a decking base questions (newbie)

by stoneyboy » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:30 pm

Hi nursesarah38,
Decking posts - these are only necessary if you are on sloping ground. If the area is reasonably level set your joists on 6” solid concrete blocks at your suggested 1.5m grid size.
If you must use posts use postcrete and cut a notch in the top of the posts next to the fence, then screw the posts to the joists.
If you can make the decking 2.4m wide this is a standard length of board and would mean no joins.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Sep 14, 2024 11:21 pm