Bulging external wall in semi detached
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Markgul
Labourer
Labourer

Bulging external wall in semi detached

by Markgul » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:08 pm

Hi, I moved into my property 6 years ago. We had the inbuilt closets removed and found a large crack on one of the walls. I had a builder who was doing some work for me at the time who told me this is most likely due to the wall bulging, he took me outside and showed me. I can see the wall didn't seem even. Anyway he said to me he could put some plates up against the external wall and attached them to my joists to ensure no further movements occur. I've been living here 6 years and I have noticed to see some hairline cracks on the ceiling of one of the bedrooms. I went out to see what the wall seemed like and the pointing seems like it's all falling off.

I wanted some advise if should be getting someone serious in to look at the wall or just get someone to repoint the bricks?

I'm also thinking of doing a loft conversion and this is started to worry me more with the load going on.

Any advise what I should do please?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Bulging external wall in semi detached

by stoneyboy » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:16 pm

Hi markgul
It is very unlikely that bolting plates as you describe will cure this problem. You will probably need to have tie bars installed. Suggest you contact a structural surveyor for advice.
Regards S

Markgul
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Bulging external wall in semi detached

by Markgul » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:07 am

Hi S,

Thank you for your reply. I feel the plates have prevented things for sure, as I haven't seen any cracks the sort I saw when we purchased the house, however as the pointing on the bricks isn't looking good, rather then just spending money to do that up if I need to then get someone to look at this. How much do structural engineers charge?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:14 am