Cabling 90 degree bend for new socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JohnnyPlatt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Cabling 90 degree bend for new socket

by JohnnyPlatt » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:43 pm

Evening All,

We're looking at joining the 21st century and getting a wall mounted tv but i coukd do with some advice about the best way to do it. One of my ex pupils is a spark and will do the actual connecting of wires and fitting of sockets but I was hoping to save his time by getting the wires in place ready for him.

My wife isn't keen on trailing cables so has suggested that we get a new socket fitted behind where the TV will go. The wall is plasterboard, battened to block/brick, so has a cavity to feed a cable.

The existing socket is about 5ft to the left and about 4ft lower than where we want tge new socket. I know that electrical cables need to be run at right-angles, so my thought was to run the cable horizontally from the existing socket to directly below where the new socket will go, then fish the wire up through the wall.

My question is how do I ensure that the wire runs in the safe zone to that 90 degree turn? Do I need to put a hole in the wall near the bend and fix the wire in place?

Hope someone can help,

J

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Cabling 90 degree bend for new socket

by stoneyboy » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:23 pm

Hi johnnyplatt,
Suggest you sink a dry lining box in the wall where horizontal and vertical meet. Cover it with a blanking plate when you're done.
Regards S

JohnnyPlatt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Cabling 90 degree bend for new socket

by JohnnyPlatt » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:10 pm

Thanks Stoneyboy,

Really appreciate your help with this - that makes perfect sense.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:37 pm