Can a wall warp without plaster cracking?
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pieterhartzer
Labourer
Labourer

Can a wall warp without plaster cracking?

by pieterhartzer » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:44 am

Hi,

During the lockdown I got trapped abroad for three months whilst there was a leak in my house.
The one wall in my front room is warped and the contractors refuse to fix it claiming that the plaster would have cracked if it was caused by the water. Although they are making a valid point, it was never noticed in three years prior to the leak and was immediately visible once I got back home.

My question is whether the plaster would crack or bend given that the room was completely damp and filled with mould and the warp is over a reasonably large area. I don't want to argue with the insurers if it's reasonably likely that it was simply an oversight on my part. The photos that I have of the room prior isn't clear enough to use as evidence.

Thanks
Attachments
Photo of the warped corner
Photo of the warped corner

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Can a wall warp without plaster cracking?

by stoneyboy » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:37 pm

Hi pieterhartzer.
If it is a masonry wall unless the plaster has blown it was probably always like it. If it is a stud wall the floor plate may have distorted so look at the concrete under the edge of the skirting and see if movement has occurred.
Regards S

pieterhartzer
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Can a wall warp without plaster cracking?

by pieterhartzer » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:46 pm

Thank you. It is a stud wall and a carpenter suggested that it could be damp because the studs are not made from treated wood, but the manager disagrees and insists the plaster/skim would have visible cracks.
I will remove the skirting and see whether anything is visible underneath it.
My photo of the area wouldn't upload before so I am trying again with this comment.
Attachments
wall.jpg

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:25 am