Can I use Decorators chalk along top edge of splashback transition to painted wall above?
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rich05UK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Can I use Decorators chalk along top edge of splashback transition to painted wall above?

by Rich05UK » Mon May 03, 2021 6:39 pm

Hi,

I’m after some advice, I am tiling my kitchen splashback with some standard 50x100 porcelain tiles in a brick effect. The edges of the tiles are unfinished porcelain and so I wondered how best to finish the top edge of the splashback, the transition from the splashback to the painted wall above. I was hoping to just chalk along the top so I can paint the wall above from the celling right down to the top tile of the splashback, including painting the top edge of the tiles themselves.

Would this work, I’m sure I’ve seen it done this way in past kitchens so assume there is nothing wrong with this approach?

I would of course use a silicon sealant between our wooden oak worktops and the tile to create a waterproof seal, I would also use silicon on all internal corners from top to bottom. The transition between the splashback and the painted wall above doesn’t need to be waterproofed however so silicon isn’t required here and it would be more noticeable than using just chalk and painted the same as the wall above.

My other question is that I’m not sure how best to finish the external corners other than by using a plastic edging strip which I’m trying to avoid if possible? We don’t want the metal edging in our kitchen as it’s not in keeping with a traditional Victorian look, likewise we have a similar issue with the plastic edging too, although plastic is a bit less in your face than metal trim so we would probably choose plastic over metal if we must use an edging strip.

If I do need to use plastic edging strip across the top edge because the chalk mentioned above isn’t suitable, how do you then join the edging strip around the window because you have the edging running along the wall along the top of the splashback, then round the corner along the reveal (to the window itself) and also vertically down the external corner, it’s a 3 way join?

Any help and advice will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Richard.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Can I use Decorators chalk along top edge of splashback transition to painted wall above?

by stoneyboy » Tue May 04, 2021 10:57 pm

Hi rich05uk
You could minimise the effect of the tile edging by using a flat one. Where this meets at a 3 corner junction you need to do some creative morticing. Do use edging on the corners otherwise chipping is very obvious.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:47 am