Can I use the Wires Left Behind Having Removed a Mains Powered Security Camera?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
murraylow
Labourer
Labourer

Can I use the Wires Left Behind Having Removed a Mains Powered Security Camera?

by murraylow » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:33 pm

Hi everyone,
New to this so I'm hoping someone can help by throwing some light on this.

I have a now defunct security camera by the front door that I have removed. It was mains powered and used ethernet to record video etc. It also had a PIR which switched on the porch light (and presumably the camera) when movement was detected.

The porch light is also controlled by a switch by the front door. This is a double switch the other half of which controls hall lights which are also controlled by a switch at the other end of the hall.

There are 2 cables left behind having removed the camera. Both are Red, Yellow, Blue and earth type cables and in one cable all the wires are showing no current (as tested with a mains testing screwdriver) and the other cable has power in both the Red and Yellow wires but not the Blue.

The status of the wires does not change when operating the porch light switch.

My question is, can I make use of the cables left behind and how would I go about connecting them to, say, a waterproof powerpoint to power a wifi security camera?

Any help greatly appreciated...

Thanks, Murray.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Can I use the Wires Left Behind Having Removed a Mains Powered Security Camera?

by Mr White » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:31 pm

It is dependant on what the other end is connected to, and without properly testing it, it is not possible to say.
A neon test screwdriver often gives "false readings" and there is no way it can check for neutral, neon tester screwdrivers should be banned as they can also be dangerous.

I would suggest you turn the electricity off at the consumers unit, and disconnect both ends of your 3 core and earth cable.

You mentioned ethernet cable? why not use that for the 12v supply for the camera? much easier and safer.

murraylow
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Can I use the Wires Left Behind Having Removed a Mains Powered Security Camera?

by murraylow » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:44 am

Thanks for the advice Mr White. I’ll certainly investigate the Ethernet 12v idea.

The power cables, however, disappear inside the wall and I don’t know where their other end is. The house was built in the early 2000s to quite a high tech spec - cat5 network throughout the house and security cameras front and back - trouble is there’s not a lot of info about the layout apart from the Ethernet.

I guess I’ll just have to cap off the power cable ends I can see.

murraylow
Labourer
Labourer

by murraylow » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:54 pm

Hi Mr White, thanks for your reply.

The power cables in question disappear into the wall and I'm unsure where the other ends are. Thus full disconnection is not going to be possible, I suspect.

I guess I'll just have to cap the ends and leave them in a waterproof box.

The ethernet idea is interesting so, thank you, I'll see if that will work out.

Thanks again,

Murray.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:38 am