Can you install a carronite bathtub with just silicone as the support (i.e. not use provider support clips or a timber frame)??
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jamessmith
Labourer
Labourer

Can you install a carronite bathtub with just silicone as the support (i.e. not use provider support clips or a timber frame)??

by jamessmith » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:10 pm

We have had a new bathroom installed by a qualified plumber, which is now making odd knocking noises. We have eliminated pipes and heating as a cause, so we contacted Carronite (the manufacturers), who have advised the noises are stresses on the bath as it is incorrectly installed.

The bath was not installed with the manufacturer's supporting wall brackets nor with a custom timber frame. Instead, the edges of the bathtub are siliconed to the wall. Is this normal? Does a bathtub always need more support than just the legs?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Can you install a carronite bathtub with just silicone as the support (i.e. not use provider support clips or a timber frame)??

by stoneyboy » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:36 pm

Hi jamessmith,
If the bath is installed on a concrete floor and the walls are masonry and the leg frame is bolted and fixed correctly it is possible to just silicone the mating sides to the wall. It is best to use the supplied wall brackets to ensure stability.
If the bath is fitted on a suspended floor then allowance has to be made for the floor flexing under the point loads of the 4 or 5 feet.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:01 pm