* Career Change *
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
WaterWorks
Labourer
Labourer

* Career Change *

by WaterWorks » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:11 pm

Hello forum I have been working in IT for several years now and I want a change. I have attended several intensive plumbing courses, which were too fast for me. I actually enjoy plumbing and get great satisfaction from it, however I just want to learn the subject in my own time and not be rushed by qualified plumbers who demand hundreds of thousands of pounds for week training.
I have not jumped on the plumbing bandwagon because I have tried other trades but plumbing interests me. I am not in this to rip off old people or perform below standard jobs.
I would like to learn plumbing around my current job. I am not interested in intensive courses or paying £1000's of pounds for a weeks training.
Can anyone help ? :roll:

bonzo
Apprentice
Apprentice

by bonzo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:13 pm

My advice would be to try to get some hands on work experience with a small plumbing company. Offer to work a couple of days a week for nothing. Do this for a few weeks and prove that you are competant and willing to learn.

I did this and got taken on full time after about 2 months. If they arent willing to take you on. Try and do the same with another company and you will have the added bonus of having some on-site experience to call upon.

I dont know how much you earn right now in I.T but i wouldnt expect much more than minimum wage for the first couple of years. I get £40 a day as an apprentice.

Once you get a job, get yourself onto a one day a week plumbing course that spends over 2-3 years. If you fall into the right age bracket you may even be eligable for some government funding that pays for most of the course.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Paulo83
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Paulo83 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:32 pm

I joined BG 4 years ago, 1year training starting on 13k. after 1.5years i was on basic of 26.5k and thats no lie. Anyway, the training is excellent(short and intense) if you can manage on poor money for the first year. Obviously its the heating side you learn but you can pick up the other stuff in your own time. BG take on all age groups. Then like many others do, you can then move on (start up on your own). But im happy where i am, 40k/year after o/t, out and about, fixing boilers, huge variation in work, challenging, 4day weeks in summer 8) , van, laptop, generally an easy life.

Just a suggestion, good luck. :wink:

Paul.

WaterWorks
Labourer
Labourer

* Career change *

by WaterWorks » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:37 pm

Thank you for you reply.

I have made a note of what you said I will look into BG, but does BG offer training on a part time basis as I dont want to lose my main job (at the moment).

What exactly does BG stand ?

Thank you again .

WaterWorks
Labourer
Labourer

* Career change *

by WaterWorks » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:42 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I never thought of working for nothing. As with everything in life you have to start from the bottom. I suppose I would have to find a reputable company so I can learn the right way and not pick up bad habits.

Umm interesting, something to consider....

Thank you again for your time.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:21 pm