Cavity around bathroom window
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
EatYourGreens
Labourer
Labourer

Cavity around bathroom window

by EatYourGreens » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:50 am

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice. I am currently having a new bathroom fitted and the builder kept going on about getting a new window too. He said that's what everyone does. Anyway, after ripping out the old tiles, he exposed the mineral wall,insulation that I had professionally installed, many years ago (pumped in). It came right up to the windows edge (the upvc frame), all the way around - still looking as good as new, despite it being 15 years old. He tells me it's 'crap', and without asking or telling me, he scrapes out about 10-20 cm of it, all around the cavity and throws it away. He then replaces it with broken pieces of polystyrene from a vacuum cleaner box, as well as an old piece of loft insulation, saying this is much better. I challenged him on it, buying some proper mineral wool rolls, asking him to replace it. He refused, shouted and said don't interfere with the job, as he knows what he's doing. He's now stuck plasterboard all around the window, almost touching it. Thus, I cannot remove the crap he put around it, without somehow getting the plasterboard off too. I think he was planning to fill the rest of the cavity around the window with expanding foam.

Now, I'm no builder, but I do know that you have to be very careful with putting insulation into cavity walls and you should use the proper stuff. He's also leaving a gap between floorboards too, telling me he's happy wih it and I shouldn't interfere. I mean, it's my house!! I'm thinking I need to get the plasterboard off and get that stuff out, before the tiles go on...

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Cavity around bathroom window

by stoneyboy » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:01 pm

Hi eatyourgreens,
You should get a new contractor.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:45 am