Chalet Electrics
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rayal
Labourer
Labourer

Chalet Electrics

by rayal » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:54 am

I have a Chalet that needs the consumer unit updating. I have included a photo of the present set up, I would be grateful for suggestions /recommendations on what to use for replacements .............[/img]http://www.rayal.co.uk/185/elec1.htm[img]

At the moment the Chalet has 2 bedrooms / lounge / kitchen and bathroom with electric shower.

lighting circuit
Sockets
Electric Cooker
Electric Shower
[/img]

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Chalet Electrics

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:32 am

[quote="rayal"]I have a Chalet that needs the consumer unit updating. I have included a photo of the present set up, I would be grateful for suggestions /recommendations on what to use for replacements .............[/img]http://www.rayal.co.uk/185/elec1.htm[img]

At the moment the Chalet has 2 bedrooms / lounge / kitchen and bathroom with electric shower.

lighting circuit
Sockets
Electric Cooker
Electric Shower
[/img][/quote]

RAYAL
Get the advice of your local part p elecrician

BLAKEY1963

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:28 pm

rayal, don't seem to be able to find your photos?
But it is a job that should be done by an experienced electrician, ideally registered with the domestic installers scheme or work will need to be notified to Building Controls (look under part p on projects page)
I assume your chalet is on one level,
With the circuits you have you don't need a very big CU but you'd still need a a dual split protected by 2 RCCBs (RCD protection on both splits)
an eight way CU would suit, putting your sockets and lighting circuits on different sides would be advised and this size CU will also allow for at least two spares.
KB

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:30 pm

Hi, as Blakey says this is notifiable work covered by Part P of building regs and NOT diy,
sorry can only give same advice ref. registered leckie.

rayal
Labourer
Labourer

by rayal » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:58 pm

[quote="kbrownie"]rayal, don't seem to be able to find your photos?
But it is a job that should be done by an experienced electrician, ideally registered with the domestic installers scheme or work will need to be notified to Building Controls (look under part p on projects page)
I assume your chalet is on one level,
With the circuits you have you don't need a very big CU but you'd still need a a dual split protected by 2 RCCBs (RCD protection on both splits)
an eight way CU would suit, putting your sockets and lighting circuits on different sides would be advised and this size CU will also allow for at least two spares.
KB[/quote]

Shame about the photo so I have included the url address to my site where it is [url]http://www.rayal.co.uk/185/elec1.htm[/url] ............ your suggestion is a little more than I would have expected but I see the sense in it, my idea was 1 RCCB and using a 6 way CU.

yes the Chalet is on one level.

I am a Master Carpenter in the trade for over 40 years and have some experience in [i]electrickery[/i]

...... and many thanks to you others for your sensible concerns.........

Ray

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:51 pm

Ray the main reason for putting your lighting circuit and sockect circuit on different splits on the board, is if you have a residuel fault on one side the other will still have power, so you either have lights on or sockets available to plug a lamp in to. So you can at least see.
KB

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:31 am