Changing Fireplace From Stone to Contemporary
information and advice on general building topics, builders merchants, problem builders, DIY Stores etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
leigh1966
Labourer
Labourer

Changing Fireplace From Stone to Contemporary

by leigh1966 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:40 pm

The wife wants me to change our fireplace from stone to contemporary. I was thinking of using Vermiculite Fire Resistant Board with a metal fire trim. Also, knocking the stones forming the arch out to give the opening more height. I assume there's a lintel above the arch somewhere, probably further back, and the front of the fireplace does not support the chimney. I would be very grateful for any advice - we've tried to get a local builder without much success. I do some DIY but the wife will get kittens if I start knocking things down (even a few stones in a non suppporting arch) without proper advice.
Attachments
fire1.JPG

leigh1966
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Changing Fireplace From Stone to Contemporary

by leigh1966 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:38 am

I should have said that after taking out the arch bricks I'm going to cover the stones with the board which will go upto and under the wooden mantel. I'm only taking out the arch bricks, not the whole fireplace.

B4Less
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Changing Fireplace From Stone to Contemporary

by B4Less » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:43 am

I would advise not to start taking out stones from your fireplace unless you truly know what you are doing. What could happen if you are not careful is that the whole brest could drop slightly and cause a crack from floor to roof in your chimney and that is a problem then. My advice is to get a builder that knows what he is doing and has experience with chimneys to do the job. Do not do it yourself.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:25 pm