Changing to digital room thermostat. Any advice please.
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dchopp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Changing to digital room thermostat. Any advice please.

by dchopp » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:01 am

I have a Satchwell 25T room thermostat in my lounge, probably 45 years old, and wish to change it for a digital display room thermostat. The Satchwell is three-wired red,blue and yellow and the temperature indicators are inaccurate.

My central heating is controlled by an on-off programmer in the airing cupboard but on researching a new one I am confused by products called digital room thermostat programmers. I presume these are for using to control the whole system.

I would be grateful if anybody can recommend a replacement so that I can proceed. Thank you.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:17 pm

dchopp,
Either go for a digital thermostat (mains rated) which will control the temperature or
A programmable one where you can control the on/off times and the temperatures to be achieved, some have the capability of advance/retard of the on/off times dependent on your building heat mass. You will have to set the main programmer to on for a programmable thermostat.
end

HH
Apprentice
Apprentice

by HH » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:19 am

Hi,
Not really a recommendation on a particular programmer but more of an observation / information for your consideration.
In a previous home I had the dial type programmer with the two red plastic markers and two blue markers, giving two “on” periods per day.
In the new home the programmer was goosed so changed it for a digital type, it had more “on” periods.
My preference is for the dial type, although only two “on” periods it was very easy to see what on and off times were set, and if you are in the habit of changing the times, very quick and easy to change them.
The digital type that I have seems to be a pain when it comes to modifying the times, just too long to go through the menus and you have to review each “on” period leaving it as it is or changing it.

I suppose it’s only valuable info if you are in the habit of changing the times.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1