Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Competent DIYer 101
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:23 pm


Post by Competent DIYer 101 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:42 pm

Hi There
I have just moved. Currently there is awful white trunking everywhere, I want to channel the wiring into the walls. I have bought black Round Conduit and the Size is 20mm x 3m and gang boxes to sink into the walls is there any thing I need to be take into consideration?
There is a consumer unit fitted.
All I want to do is channel out the brick work and sink the conduit into the walls after feeding it through it. Some advice would be nice.


Post by ericmark » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:49 pm

Nice to here some one is still conceals cable in a wall or partition. In conduit too.
Well I would use Ali-tube far too hard to bend steel conduit and pull in singles and if you have ever tried to pull twin and earth through conduit you will not do it again.
Yellow77 is a life saver. It is a special lubricant for cables in conduit which unlike washing up liquid will not explode.
With rewires I would use conduit but the oval type which requires less plaster to be cut out than capping. But I cheat and slip it over the cable as I go pulling twin and earth is really hard.
But that was before the 17th Edition and the limitations as to unprotected cable now we need either RCD or ali-tube cable.
When you registered the work with the LABC did they give any advice normally they will tell you what they want to issue you with completion cert.
I am assuming steel conduit? no real point in plastic.
You must be far more adventurous than most I hate bending conduit needs so much room. Plus I don't own a bending machine I do have die but even that is getting on a bit and hiring a bender is expensive although normally someone has already marked it with how much over bend is required.
All best Eric

Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:03 pm

Post by rose » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:13 pm

have just had my house re-wired and all cables covered in conduit and then placed in the much better than trunking...


Post by ericmark » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:40 am

Rose you say “covered” which makes me think you are talking about capping rather than trunking. Up to a few weeks ago I would have said this is not suitable to get around the 522.6.6 regulation but it seems builders merchants are now doing a heavy gauge version that does comply but I have never used it.
Do remember rules only changed in June so things are changing fast.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:34 am