chimney breast removal
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cerdyn
Apprentice
Apprentice

chimney breast removal

by cerdyn » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:15 pm

I wish to remove the top half of a chimney breast in a victorian house. I am getting different advice so I would be grateful for info on what is required to secure the stack within the roof space. I intend using a qualified builder but as an experienced DIYer I am considering removing the brickwork myself once the stack is secure. Any advice on the above, particularly in relation to what should be done to secure the stack, or anything else I need to know would be garatefuly received.

Regards - Steve

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

chimney breast removal

by Perry525 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:57 pm

When you are on the roof and get up close to a chimney you realize just how big it is and how much those bricks weigh.
Should it fall down, in a minor earth quake, and the UK has more than most people realize, it will do a lot of damage and possibly kill someone.
Be safe take it down from the top,

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:55 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:54 am