Connecting New Sink on to Cast Iron Waste Trap
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
schlafsack
Labourer
Labourer

Connecting New Sink on to Cast Iron Waste Trap

Post by schlafsack » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:25 am

Afternoon. I'd like to fit a new sink to an old cast iron waste trap in an outside utility room.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to replace the trap, the connector has been cemented quite deeply into the wall and the waste pipe exits the exterior wall at about 40 feet of the ground.

The trap is currently covered in old plaster, but should clean up ok. There are two brass threaded bolts that have sheered that, I assume, held the old sink drain in place somehow. I'm going to drill these out.

It this going to be possible and does anybody have any tips or hints to make the job easier?

I think the first challenge is going to be to find a sink with the drain in the correct position. Centre of the drain is ~110mm from the wall.

IMG_0558.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Connecting New Sink on to Cast Iron Waste Trap

Post by stoneyboy » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:24 pm

Hi schalfsack.
Connecting successfully to the existing trap will be very difficult. Remove the trap by digging it out of the collar connector - this will give you a female joint which will be much easier to deal with.
Regards S

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Connecting New Sink on to Cast Iron Waste Trap

Post by stoneyboy » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:24 pm

Hi schalfsack.
Connecting successfully to the existing trap will be very difficult. Remove the trap by digging it out of the collar connector - this will give you a female joint which will be much easier to deal with.
Regards S

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:44 am