Continuous vibrational mid tone noise - HELP
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tk75
Labourer
Labourer

Continuous vibrational mid tone noise - HELP

by tk75 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:44 pm

For the last 3 months or so, I have been able to hear what I can only describe as a continuous vibrational humming (mid to high pitch) The sound is a bit like the after effect when you bang a xylophone.

I have not slept properly for months. I don’t hear it when away from home, so I’ve excluded tinnitus. My husband doesn’t seem to be able to hear it much though. I hear it constantly and have to put the tv on in order to get any respite from the sound.

We have lived in this 3-storey house for 8 months, we are built partially into the hillside, semi-rural. It was deafeningly quiet up until 3 months ago. I can hear it in every room pretty much, some slightly worse than others.

We’ve checked the electrics - changed transformers just in case, and still hear it. We’ve switched everything off in the house to test (gas/electrics) and still hear it.

I think it coincided with my neighbors doing building and renovation work. New basement swimming pool pump, and air conditioning/ heating system installed. They are over 20metres away from our property though. See pics attached. The noise is loudest on that side of our house which is closest to their units. I cannot hear the noise when I step outside though. Yet it reverberates all through our house.

Our house was built in 1940s and some of the water pipes bang around loudly when you use the taps occasionally but I don’t think this has anything to do with the vibrational humming.

I’m driven to complete distraction, I can’t sleep or rest, I’m exhausted abd 0

For the last 3 months or so, I have been able to hear what I can only describe as a continuous vibrational humming (mid-high pitch) The sound is a bit like the after effect when you bang a xylophone.

I have not slept properly for months. I don’t hear it when at my folks' house or in a hotel, so I’ve excluded tinnitus. My husband doesn’t seem to be able to hear it though. I hear it loudly and constantly and have to put the tv on in order to get any respite from the sound.

We have lived in this 3-storey house for 8 months, we are built partially into the hillside, semi-rural. It was deafeningly quiet up until 3 months ago. I can hear it in every room pretty much, some slightly worse than others.

We’ve checked the electrics - changed transformers just in case, and still hear it. We’ve switched everything off in the house to test (gas/electrics) and still hear it.

It coincided I think with my neighbors doing building and renovation work. New basement swimming pool pump, and air conditioning/ heating system installed. They are over 20metres away from our property though.

The house was built in 1940s and some of the water pipes bang around loudly when you use the taps occasionally but I don’t think this has anything to do with the vibrational humming.

I’m driven to complete distraction, I can’t sleep or rest day or night and I’m exhausted and stressed all of the time.

Any suggestions please?! I’m absolutely desperate. Thank you
Attachments
Two big units on the outside of neighbours house
Two big units on the outside of neighbours house
3C6F0916-A92A-4408-9DF4-03B6532AB654.jpeg (35.53 KiB) Viewed 339 times

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Continuous vibrational mid tone noise - HELP

by stoneyboy » Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:09 pm

Hi tk75,
I think you have already identified the most likely cause of your sound problems - the neighbours aircon units (which are probably air heat exchangers).
The problem is what can you do about it? I suggest you start by contacting your local council, they should have a department dealing with nuisance noise.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1