Conversion of redundant farm building
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
aalindo
Labourer
Labourer

Conversion of redundant farm building

by aalindo » Fri May 22, 2009 4:08 pm

I would like to convert a redundant farm building into a single storey, one bedroomed dwelling for my late mother's partner to live in. He is very elderly and can no longer live alone, but is a very independantly minded person. The building is in poor repair and is situated approximately 12 yards from the main house. I would not want the buillding to be considered as seperate from the main property at any time and would be happy for that to be a condition of approval if need be. The property is not in any village or planning area, it stands alone with the nearest neighbour being at least a quarter of a mile away.

I have never applied for planning permission before and when a local architect spoke to me, he did not think I would be successful as he described it as a development in the countryside. Another architect said he thought it possible but wanted 300 pounds to visit the site and 5000 pounds to do the application without any guarentee of success. Can anyone advise me on what I should do now? What should be my next steps? Has anyone had experience of this and if so, what would you suggest?

Thank you for reading this. Any advice and suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri May 22, 2009 7:53 pm

aalindo,
Local councils are getting very keen on preserving old farm buildings and they are pretty fussy about what can or cannot be done.
Suggest you go and have an informal chat with your local planning office and they should be able to advise you as to whether you are likely to get PP.
end

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Fri May 22, 2009 9:36 pm

I would visit your local council website, and look under Planning and Building Control.
They will not give you permission on there, but could indicate the likelyhood of permission, outline then detailed.
Failing that, you could phone the planning department, and ask them directly.
I have always found them most helpful, and afterall you are paying them to be there and help you.
Paying an architect to do the initial (Outline planning) is a waste of money, as it is something you can easily do yourself, but the final plans may be best drawn up by an architect.

aalindo
Labourer
Labourer

by aalindo » Sun May 24, 2009 1:29 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have checked the council website and looked through their policy document. The policies are clear, but very specific. The work we are loking to do doesn't fit neatly into any of the categories. However, they do offer a free service via their 'First Contact Team'. The will meet with me and discuss the ideas/options and offer advice prior to spending any money on plans. This appeals more than 5k up front with no guarentee of success!

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Sun May 24, 2009 9:46 pm

Absolutely, and I am sure they will help you all they can to achieve something. They are there to help within the regs, which we all have to adhere to, and are there to protect the consumer as well as the environment, and at the end of the day, they could carry the can.
Hope it all goes well for you with your plans, please let us know the outcome, as posters do like some form of feedback
Cheers
bd3cc

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1