Could the use of engineered wood panels to cover wallpaper in the living room indicate a hidden issue with the property?
Tips, tricks and information on how to spot rogue and cowboy builders and also a platform for you to post and warn others of cowboy builders you may have encountered and help to spread the word of their dodgy dealings

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
LucasSchwartz
Labourer
Labourer

Could the use of engineered wood panels to cover wallpaper in the living room indicate a hidden issue with the property?

by LucasSchwartz » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:29 pm

As I am considering purchasing a semi-detached property, the seller has informed me that the living room walls are covered with engineered wood panels for insulation purposes, which were installed over woodchip wallpaper. However, the seller claims that removing the wallpaper in the living room would have been too expensive, with a quote of £2000. I am uncertain about this explanation as it seems peculiar that only the living room would have been treated with panels and not other rooms. Could this potentially mean that the seller has installed the panels to conceal a hidden issue in the property? I am aware that surveys are non-destructive and only visual, which means that the surveyor won't be able to investigate the condition of the wall behind the stud wall.

Could the use of engineered wood panels to cover wallpaper in the living room indicate a hidden issue with the property? If so, what professional should I consult to assess the condition of the wall behind the panels? Can anyone offer any advice or insights into this matter? Additionally, how can I protect myself from an unpleasant surprise that may be hiding behind the stud wall during the purchasing process?

Many thanks,

Lucas

matt_br
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Could the use of engineered wood panels to cover wallpaper in the living room indicate a hidden issue with the property?

by matt_br » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:18 am

Pretty difficult to tell without lifting them.

£2000 seems steep for removing wallpaper, but depends on the size of the room I guess. Insulation could be legitimate reason for covering the walls, but seems like a strange approach to me.

If you are really worried I would request that a professional investigate it.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:44 am