crack in house wall next to joined on conservatory
Conservatories are a great all-round addition to any home. Find help, advice and information on all aspects of this area.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
alansdiy
Labourer
Labourer

crack in house wall next to joined on conservatory

Post by alansdiy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:47 am

Hi just joined,need some answer to help my very worried hubby sitting hear. he built a conservatory two yrs ago.it was joined on from the back of the house.he noticed a hairline crack in the main wall to the house next to the conservatory about four months ago.well yesterday he is looking real worried and told me the crack is now wider and about a foot longer.(total eight foot now)its vertical.he is thinking he will have to knock down the conseratory :shock: or remove the conservatory wall on that side and rebuild with a lighter plastic cladding to make it lighter to remove any strain from the house wall. hope this makes sence.!

Sue

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:24 pm

alansdiy,
There will always be some differential movement between an extension and the original building. If the crack is where the two structures join it's quite normal and will just need filling over time. If alan built it himself he will known how deep the foundations were - if they were at the same depth as the house just ignore the crack.
end.

alansdiy
Labourer
Labourer

Post by alansdiy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:09 pm

stoneyboy wrote:alansdiy,
There will always be some differential movement between an extension and the original building. If the crack is where the two structures join it's quite normal and will just need filling over time. If alan built it himself he will known how deep the foundations were - if they were at the same depth as the house just ignore the crack.
end.

Thanks,the crack is a bout 10" from the joining part of the house and wall.he has been told that it is probaly caused by to much weight in the conservatory causing pressure and has been adviced to remove part of the brick wall and replace it with cladding to make it lighter.was told tis yesterday,what do you think?

kingfisherrc
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by kingfisherrc » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:10 pm

I agree with stoneyboy.Without seing the conservatory i can not say anything else really.The only other thing is that the foundations are not deep enough and the weight is tipping the conservatory.Small movements in the joint are quite common and nothing to worry about at all

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Sep 07, 2024 10:35 am