Damp circular patches on outer wall in ensuite
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
millsy5
Apprentice
Apprentice

Damp circular patches on outer wall in ensuite

by millsy5 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:44 pm

I'm living in a new build (A rated) for just over 4 years. I've noticed for maybe the last year that damp patches have formed on the outer wall in the ensuite. All other rooms are fine.

Ensuite
Ensuite

The first ones to appear were the two directly above the window, on flat horizontal part of the window 'cutout' (nto sure the proper name for this). These are exactly symmetrical with each other which is unusual.

Above window on left side
Above window on left side

Above window on right side
Above window on right side

Then more recently (some time after the summer) additional ones started appearing on the wall above the window, as well as an additional one right next to the extractor.

Three patches on wall above window
Three patches on wall above window

The outer wall has insulated plasterboard on the inside of the block.

The damp is worse after I have a shower in there.

I'm not sure if it's a ventilation issue as the extractor comes on with the light (I always ensure it is on regardless of whether I need the light on or not). Also the extractor itself provides ventilation even when off.

I usually have the window open during the day, until it's really cold out.

Any thoughts on the cause of these damp patches, and whether some damage might already be done inside the wall? I don't work in the building trade so don't really have a clue about this.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Damp circular patches on outer wall in en

by stoneyboy » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:29 pm

Hi Millysys,
Almost certain to be snots on the wall tiles which give a bridge from the exterior to interior walls.

millsy5
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Damp circular patches on outer wall in ensuite

by millsy5 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:55 pm

I just ran a magnet over the wall. It only stuck on the damp patches indicating that there are screws here.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:36 pm

Hi millsy5.
Could be the ends of wall ties you are detecting. Dig a hole the the plaster and see what you find.
Regards S

millsy5
Apprentice
Apprentice

by millsy5 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:23 am

stoneyboy wrote:Hi millsy5.
Could be the ends of wall ties you are detecting. Dig a hole the the plaster and see what you find.
Regards S

If there are indeed wall ties, is there anything that can be done to resolve the issue? The wall ties (or screws) are there for a reason so I don't think they should be removed. Unless you are suggesting to replace them with something else?

millsy5
Apprentice
Apprentice

by millsy5 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:46 pm

If I did see wall ties or screws, is there something that needs to be done? They are there for a reason so I don't I could remove them.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:28 pm

Hi millsy5,
Screws you could remove, wall ties with mortar on them would need the wall opened up and the snots removed.
Regards S

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 9:29 am