Decking area with permanent gazebo and roof
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pieterhartzer
Labourer
Labourer

Decking area with permanent gazebo and roof

by pieterhartzer » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:18 pm

Hello,

I am looking to build a deck with a permanent gazebo/pergola with a roof over.
It will be within 2m of the boundary wall and will be no higher than 2.5m as per the permitted development rules.

My question relates more to the uncommon design of my yard and house. My house is set deeper into the plot than the boundary wall so the gazebo would be further forward than the face of the house despite still being in the backyard. Would I need planning permission for this?

Attached is a picture with the layout. The blue area is where I intend on erecting the structure (picture is not to scale).
Attachments
Plan.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Decking area with permanent gazebo and roof

by stoneyboy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:40 pm

Hi pieterhartzer
You are building forward of the building line so I would suggest you need PP. Ask your local council - they may be prepared to give judgement but will almost certainly demand accurate plans.
Regards S

pieterhartzer
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Decking area with permanent gazebo and roof

by pieterhartzer » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:17 am

Thank you for the response. That is what I feared. I will contact the council and see what they say. It might just be easier to build from the building line backwards if I need permission.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1