Decking questions for new project please help
Ask questions and find answers on all your decking problems and issues

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
NurseSarah38
Labourer
Labourer

Decking questions for new project please help

by NurseSarah38 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:06 pm

Hi I am building some decking (with the help of my young son) myself as we can't afford to hire someone. I am quite good at DIY and have a lot of the tools needed already but I have a couple of questions.

It is floating over grass so I will be cementing posts into the ground and I would like to know..

1) if I am digging a hole 300mm by 300mm and the post is 100mm x 100mm won't that leave cement sticking out from the front of the decking? The frame will be attached to the post and then the decking board but I'm not sure that will be 100mm thick so wouldn't the concrete be visible?

2) the decking is going right up to the fence so the holes will have to come in a bit so how do I attach the frame if there is little access as the fence is there and as the post is not right up to the fence do I just put the decking boards hanging over the gap? (That seems wrong) Also the fence is not panels so I can't move it.

If this doesn't make sense I will try and do some drawings to explain what I mean.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Decking questions for new project please help

by stoneyboy » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:19 pm

Hi nursesarah38,
Firstly I would recommend you set your posts on solid concrete blocks set into the ground, if you bury them so the tops are 50mm below the ground surface you will be able to disguise them. Secondly if you run the joists at right angles to the fence the decking will be supported fight up to the fence.
Regards S

NurseSarah38
Labourer
Labourer

by NurseSarah38 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:18 am

Thank you stoneyboy I didn't even think of putting the frame at right angles to the posts that's what I will do really appreciate your help

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:56 pm

Hi nursesarah38,
If you go with using concrete blocks soak the ends of the posts which sit on the blocks in timber preservative. Tip preservative into a container and stand the posts in this for a while.
Regards, S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:12 am