Decorating room, which has lining paper on the walls
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
metalhammer
Labourer
Labourer

Decorating room, which has lining paper on the walls

by metalhammer » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:33 pm

For info, the chipping has only started happening because I've been going around some of the loose lining paper seams and repairing with Solvite wallpaper paste. As soon as I go over the glued area with a seam roller, unfortunately some of the paint is coming off, which hopefully you can see from the image.

I've only done a small area so far, but I to need tidy up numerous loose seams in the room so the issue will definitely exacerbate. I've been advised to use Zinseer peel stop prior to painting, so am hoping this will hopefully prevent issues longer term and future proof the walls if I want to paint again e.g. in a different colour several years from now? Am hoping I will just be able to paint over the walls due to the prep I intend to do now?

I also plan on going over the seems with some filler to make them less visible. So should I use the filler on the seams first, Zinseer second, then paint thirs? Or Zinseer, filler, then paint? Etc. Etc.

Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Attachments
IMG_20221002_121310resized.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Decorating room, which has lining paper on the walls

by stoneyboy » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:19 pm

Hi metalhammer,
Not sure that zinsser PS is the right product for your problem. Suggest you stick down the seams, fill, prime with watered down emulsion and then paint (assuming you are going to emulsion the walls).
Regards S

metalhammer
Labourer
Labourer

by metalhammer » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:29 am

stoneyboy wrote:Hi metalhammer,
Not sure that zinsser PS is the right product for your problem. Suggest you stick down the seams, fill, prime with watered down emulsion and then paint (assuming you are going to emulsion the walls).
Regards S

Will the watered down emulsion prevent the existing chipping and chalking paint? I plan on using filler only on the seams (so it doesn't look like there is a vertical line on the join after I paint). I know watered down emulsion or primer will help the new coat of paint stick, but if if it's already peeling and chipping off, that's why I was recommended to use Zinseer.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:52 pm

Hi metalhammer,
From your original post you have two issues, seam that are lifting and paint that is being removed when using a seam roller.
Applying wallpaper paste will dampened the lining paper so it's not surprising that the old surface paint becomes detached.
Suggest you try different repair techniques and materials to establish which is the most effective - there is no one foolproof method because of all the variables involved.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2024 6:32 pm