Earthing a lamp
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
novice999
Labourer
Labourer

Earthing a lamp

by novice999 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:33 am

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me.

I recently bought a lamp in the Far East and paid extra to have UK wiring & 3 pin plug.

However when I got home I can see the plug is correctly wired but the earth wire is hanging from the light fitting an not connected to anything.

Can anyone tell me what I should do with the earth wire to corrctly earth the lamp.

Also I noticed that the plug has a 13 amp fuse instead of a 3 amp. Is this ok?

Many Thanks

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:05 am

3 amp fuse is correct. Earth goes to longer pin on plug.

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

by 333rocky333 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:58 pm

Depends what the lamp and lampholder are made off, to decide if needs earth.
Is the wire hanging from the lampholder.
If the holder is metal there may be an earth terminal inside the holders base, if not you may have to get an english holder with an earth terminal fitted.

Some lamps only need 2 core but they are always double /insulated and have no metal parts to become hazardous.
ONLY IN THIS CASE can the earth be left off.

Needs checking as the earth May Be Required,as said fit a 3 amp fuse also.

novice999
Labourer
Labourer

by novice999 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:16 am

Many thanks for the replies.

In answer to your question 333rocky333 the frame is metal with a tight material wrapped around it. The light fittings are plastic being held in place by a metal rod.

The blue & brown wires are going in to the light fitting but the earth wire is simply left outside the fitting. The lamp works fine but I just want to know how to earth it properly.

Thanks for your help

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

by 333rocky333 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:40 pm

If you mean the wire is by the LAMP holder , and that is made of plastic .
You only will need to earth inside one of the holders and the earth may then pick up through out all the metal.

If the earth wire is elsewhere or near the threaded bar you can get an earth tag ,like a washer but with a terminal on it, to fit on the bar and nut up.
Get from a lighting shop and connect the earth on to that.

After check with multimeter continuity from plug earth pin to the metal parts.

Depending how the shade fits, if it has one.
And the way it fits on the metal bar, usually 10mm or 1/2 inch threads are the norm.
you could change the lamp holder's for brass one's with an earth terminal inside it , when connected the earth will then earth the holder , metal bar and the fitting if all are screwed together,but cannot say 100% without seeing it as the existing design may not require earthing.

You can also get plastic " continental lampholders " these have metal thread inside with an earth tag the earth will then earth the metal of the lamp only.
The lampshade fitter is bigger on these though.

May be safer to take to a lighting shop and get done if your in doubt.

novice999
Labourer
Labourer

by novice999 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:07 pm

Thanks for all your help 333rocky333

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:11 pm

I have read and re-read your post. And I can't quite understand where the earth wire is. Some part of the metalwork should be earthed. I would expect if any part is earthed then it would link to all other parts. It is one of those things that we could see at a glance but takes pages to write about. We do have special tools to test but I would think if it looks right it most likely is right.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 7:21 am