Electric fire plug over heating in socket
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
whatnots2015
Apprentice
Apprentice

Electric fire plug over heating in socket

by whatnots2015 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:07 pm

I've just discovered that the plug on our electric fire has been frying nicely in the plug socket for who knows how long! We moved into our private rented property 18 months ago and the fire and a fridge were already in the property. It's a standalone fire with an ordinary plug, not attached to the wall or hardwired into the mains.
We've been told that we have to replace the fire and my question is, could I just cut off the damaged plug and attached a new one? Or might we be better with a new fire since the old one is presumably quite ancient? We know from the neighbours that the house has been rented for 11 or 12 years and for all I know the fire could have been here for that long too.
All suggestions would be very welcome!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Electric fire plug over heating in socket

by stoneyboy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:46 pm

Hi whatnots2015
Yes you could just replace the plug but get the fire PAT tested before you use it - your managing agent should have a suitable person. Probably better to get a new fire but if the old one has been over-heating in the socket this should also be replaced as a matter of urgency.
Regards S

whatnots2015
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Electric fire plug over heating in socket

by whatnots2015 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:32 am

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for reminding me about the PAT test before using the fire again with a new plug attached, I hadn't thought about that. I guess that I could buy a new fire and just use it without a PAT test, like I have bought oil-filled radiators to supplement the central heating as the house is freezing cold, or any other appliance that I have brought into the house like the computer hasn't had a PAT test.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:11 pm