Electric Oven help urgently required
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:39 am

Electric Oven help urgently required

by maddogdaz » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:42 am

I am fitting a kitchen at home, i have removed the old built in oven and hob and noticed there is no cooker switch, in fact the previous owner had just pluged in the oven to the wall socket, is this safe?

My question is, do i need to run a cable back to the consumer unit from a new cooker switch, or can i put in a mini consumer unit under the cooker and wwire the cooker switch to that?

If not i have looked at the consumer unit and there is no room for another mcb, any suggestions please

Did it myself
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:15 pm

by Did it myself » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:31 am

Not sure on this but I had a problem with my electric oven and as well as useful help from users on here, there is also instructions/guidance on this in the Projects section (see top of the forum page).


by ericmark » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:51 am

As to safe yes it is safe as if over loaded the fuse will blow but as to being a good idea then no as the hob will take far too much current and is likely to blow fuse unless of course gas and electric only used for igniter. As to oven most are under 13 amp and unlikely to blow fuse but it is rather a heavy load and items like immersion heaters and ovens would normally be given a dedicated supply.
As to installing a new supply this would come under Part P and means to DIY you will need to inform the LABC (Local authority building control) before you start work and pay a fee. As a result you will save very little money by DIY if fact it could cost you more so I would advise you employ a registered electrician who can provide you with the completion certificate and also installation or minor works certificate you will need if you ever sell the house or claim off insurance.
If you still want to DIY then we can help but I would at least get a quote first as he will also advise as to what he would do. Do ensure who ever does the job is registered with one of the Part P systems. Councils have different charges nation wide only Wales is regulated (No Part P in Scotland) you are looking at £70 to £100 charge from council and registered electrician pays about £5.
Let us know how you get on please.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 6:11 am