All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
psychrai
Apprentice
Apprentice

Electric Showers

Post by psychrai » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:40 pm

Hello

I am refurbishing my bathroom. My plumber has suggessted using an electric shower as i do not have a combi boiler.
There are so many electric showers available on the market and i am just not sure how to go about selecting.
Obviously one variable is the price . Are there other technical things i need to be looking out for when buying a shower?
Kindly advise and if possible any recommendations from personal experience.

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:21 am

See our project on choosing a shower in the projects section. Click on the following link and click on any of the tools to go through and look at the types of shower which will work for you.

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/ch ... shower.htm

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:05 am

Mira are the best by far (my opinion). As for the kw rating, as it's a new shower you can have any you want, as new cables will be ran - the shower has to be on it's own electrical circuit.

The size of the cable used to depend on how powerful the shower was. Now normally a 10mm cable is used, therfore if you install a 7kw shower and in a few years you decide to upgrade to a 10.5kw the cable will still be adequate, and it's only the fuse that''ll need upgrading.

htg

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:16 am

There are really only two considerations when choosing an electric shower. Firstly, the wattage. Basically, showers range from about 7.5kw up to about 10.8kw and the higher the wattage, the greater the flow of hot water. Probably the most common size is either 9.0 or 9.5kw and either will give a reasonable shower.

The second consideration is manufacturer. Obviously as in everything there are well known brand such as Mira or Triton, and there are less well known makes that are usually cheaper so this part is generally simply down to customer choice. Are the more expensive models more reliable and long lasting? Well probably, but how long is a piece of string?

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

Post by bobplum » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:32 pm

mira(nothing more to add really)

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:38 pm